Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cash Games: An Interesting Hand

I played a hand today that I thought was interesting enough to post. I had been playing at this table for a while. The table had average action, but the villain was a tight player and seemed to be fairly solid. I had been playing well myself, but was known to continuation bet quite often. He started the hand with 55 bb (big blinds) and I started with 52 bb. With that information here is the hand:




When he calls my raise from the blinds I think I can safely put him on a range of high aces, mid pairs and possibly, but more unlikely, suited connectors. I think if he had high pairs he would probably re-raise me. This is pretty standard for TAG (tight aggressive) players. If he is calling with an ace I would think his kicker must be better than mine. Tight players rarely call with less than AJ in the blinds.

He checks to me on the flop of Ah 8h 9d and I make a continuation bet (the size of the bet is actually a mistake by me. I should have made a larger bet to make drawing hands pay for drawing). In his eyes this is pretty standard for me, so he probably doesn't believe I have an ace anyway. When he check raises me here is what I think this means:
  • He flopped a set and I am way behind.
  • He is check-raising with some type of draw, figuring that if I don't have an ace I'll fold.
  • He is check-raising with something like KQs to find out where he is in the hand.
  • He also has an ace, but with a better kicker.
Either way, when a tight player check-raises me I am not very happy. I thought about folding, but I decided to call. On the flop the pot is $3.25. I bet $1.50 and he check-raises to $4. It is now $2.50 for me to call for a $8.75 pot. I am getting 3.5:1 to call. Some people may think those are good odds, but if I am way behind these odds doesn't really matter. I call to try to hit another ace or jack and also to get more information about his hand from his action on the turn. If he doesn't have an ace there are 5 cards I am looking to hit in the deck (an ace or a jack), which is basically 9:1 to hit on the turn. Even if I do hit I still in a tough spot and need to figure out from his next action if I am really beat or not. I am not ready to give up on the hand yet, but must proceed cautiously.

Another interesting point is that when most people check raise, they raise 3 times the original bet or the pot. When people are check raising out of position they tend to increase the raise even more. This is under that amount, which could mean two things. Either he has hit a monster and wants to keep me in the pot or he is trying to get me to fold cheaply with maybe a drawing hand. I would think with a monster though he would bet more to protect his hand.

The turn comes a 10 of hearts. To most beginners watching this hand, the turn may look like a good card for me. I now have a flush draw, a straight draw, and top pair with a decent kicker. I view it as the opposite, a very bad card. Let's look at a list of hands that card helps.
  • pocket 10s
  • a flush draw on the flop
  • KhQh
  • 67 (although most unlikely)
So now even though my hand looks great, I am still beat by pretty much the whole range that I put him on at the beginning of the hand. I am still beat by a set. I am still beat by a better ace. Now all the possible draws have caught up. Even if I try to catch any of my outs I have no idea if any of them are good. I am pretty sure I am behind, but how far behind am I? He'll let us know by his turn bet. The board is now Ah 8h 9d 10h.

He now bets almost the pot ($10 into $11.25 pot) into a scary straight and flush board. That is the first danger sign from a tight player. The second danger sign is our stack sizes. By betting the pot, he is pot committing himself by leaving $13.75 behind. This is now a clear fold. I only have $5.50 invested in the pot and I would be risking my whole stack if I continue.

A lot of beginners may have been all in on a hand like this, thinking that they have 19 outs. With this action that seems nearly impossible, but even with that many outs they would only be around 40% to hit the river. To continue with this hand would be terrible not only because that is not a good chance to hit, but also that because of the stack sizes the betting is capped and the implied odds are very poor for getting any more money when they hit.

I think this hand shows illustrates the importance of putting together all the factors of cash game play such as stack sizes, opponent hand ranges, bet sizes, and board reading.

No comments: